Thursday, March 15, 2012

Time to plan the garden

It's getting to be that time of year.  I grow a garden each year - not only because I love it and it makes me happy, but because I like knowing where my food came from, I enjoy the freshness of it, it's a good lesson for G, but because I can also save some money growing fresh produce verses buying it.  So many reasons.

I'm really struggling this year with what I want to grow though.  I have four 4X8 beds.  One is pretty much full of strawberries.  The others are fair game.  Historically I've done okra, summer squash, zucchini, green beans, pumpkins, chard, attempted peppers & lettuce, and then usually random other things I slip in when I get seeds or ideas from others. 

I usually do a full bed of green beans, but I'm leaning towards just a half bed this year to free up room.  I'm also thinking of trying the Haricot Vert variety since I really like them - but I have to find seeds.  I keep pondering broccoli since G eats so much of it, but it has a short growing season so I don't know.  Will do some squash and zucchini again I think.  Probably some okra.  I'm thinking of also trying some chard and kale this year.  Wondering about a good type of lettuce too. 

I keep pondering doing some herbs also in a box near the house.

What are you planning to put in your garden this year?  Give me some ideas!

~A

No comments:

Post a Comment