Thursday, November 1, 2012

Today I'm thankful for....Electricity!

As part of my 30 days of thankfulness for November, I thought a good start would be for electricity.

As a New England resident in a very rural area in Eastern, CT we were affected by the frankenstorm otherwise known as Hurricane Sandy earlier this week.  Thankfully I was prepared this year.  Last year when Hurricane Irene hit, we were without power for almost two full weeks.  No power - zip, zero.  Having a well, that meant no water.  We weren't prepared.  But lesson learned and I now have a 7000 watt generator, a panel in my house that makes it easy to connect.  So when the power went out on Monday night (I'll admit I was surprised we made it that long!), I didn't worry.  I didn't want to go out in the storm and start the generator, so I stayed in and snuggled with my little.

Candles, flash lights, portable DVD player with a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse DVD.  I could thankfully cook because we have a gas stove.  So we "roughed it" for one night.  Tuesday morning bright and early the generator went on.  Queue the water, hot showers, and power.  It's amazing how much a hot shower can do in a scenario like that.  So I paid it forward and offered hot showers to as many neighbors as I could since I was one of the few who had a generator powerful enough to run both the well pump and water heater.  Lucky me!

Somehow, despite having a pole snapped in half on my road and lines down on the other main through way, we got power back early Wednesday morning.  I'm still really not sure how, but I'll take it.  A big shout out to CL&P in this storm.  I know they took a lot of flack for Irene last year, but I'm really impressed this year.

In either case, I'm extremely thankful for electricity today.  I know there are many in my state and neighboring states that are still without power, or worst who lost everything.  It's crazy when you see some of the pictures from the storm - I think it could have been much worse, so I'm thankful that we didn't incur more damage.



What are you thankful for today?

~A


No comments:

Post a Comment