Saturday, August 6, 2011

Intro & Background

Hi.  My name is Amber.  And I'm an unfit Mommy.

Woah woah woah.  Now before you go and call DCYF, let me clarify.  I don't mean unfit like I leave my kid locked in the dog crate while I run errands, let her play with knives, or some how lose her and don't report it.

No, I mean I couldn't run a half mile without stopping, don't eat as healthy as I should, and could be taking way better care of myself.  Yes, I am physically unfit.  I'm an unfit mommy.

And, I want to change that.  Not only do I want to change, I'm going to.  So that's what this is about.  My journey.  My tips, ideas, advice, trials, etc. to become a healthier mommy.

It really started last week.  See, every now and then I get infrequent hormonal spins and this just happened to be one of them.  And the focus of this emotional roller coaster was me.  And just how unhappy I was with myself - physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I could do what some people do and loathe in my own self pity.  Or, I could do what I was raised to do and up and do something about it.  So that's what I decided to do and that's what this is about.

But, I also figured there's a lot of people out there like me, who might be able to benefit from my tips, ideas, advice...or just might find reading about my trials and tribulations funny.  Either way enjoy.

As far as background goes...here's how I got to be in my situation.

I've always been a relatively healthy eater - I was raised that way.  I like most vegetables and fruit and I'm not very picky.  I also have genetics on my side since my family is made up of mostly pretty thin framed people.  We're also athletic and hard working.

So I never really had weight problems per say.  My body seemed to do things to prevent that.  When I gained a few pounds, I'd usually get sick and then lose them and then be fine.

But, life goes on and things change.  As I got older, I ate more junk...more in general.  When it was basketball season, I'd work out a lot, be super physically fit.  Then in the off season, I'd lag.  Then I graduated high school and went to college.  Moved out.

So I got busier...less outside time.  Less time to work out.  I started working...eating more crap.  So I got less fit.  Less healthy.  Gained some weight.

By all measures on the scale, I was still a healthy weight.  On the higher end of a healthy weight.

Got married.  Worked.  5 Year plan.

Decide to have a baby.  That's when things really change.  See, I was smart enough to realize I needed to be at my healthiest to have a baby.  So I pledged to lose some weight.  And I did.  Healthier eating, portion control, more walking.  Small stuff.  But it worked (I'll get into those details more later).

I lost the weight I wanted and almost got to my goal weight.  Then I got pregnant.

Whoo hoo.  Doesn't matter that I gain weight...I'm supposed to right?  Yeah..well I gained 45 pounds.  I ate healthy and then ate ice cream...every day.  And it was good.  Not going to lie.

But then I had G.  And was left with the body I have now...significantly changed from where it was.  I've lost that 45 pounds...but I'm left with a something that I'm not happy with. 

See, throughout my life I can't claim to have *loved* my body...but I didn't hate it like some people do.  Sure I would have wanted a flatter stomach...but I was thin and had some self confidence. 

Now...I feel so weird.  I don't feel good in my body.  I wish I could have been prepared for this more.  I guess I heard your body changes, but I didn't expect this.  I saw a website when I was probably 9 or 10 months postpartum about the body of a mother.  I wish I had seen this before I had the baby so I was better prepared.  Check it out: http://theshapeofamother.com/

Alas, I did not so 16 months postpartum, I'm still trying to adjust.  Accept the things you cannot change and change the things you cannot accept.  So, I'm going to try and change some of those things I don't like...we'll see how it goes.  I guess even if I fail, I'll still be healthier and that's a success story in and amongst itself right?

If you've read this far.  Awesome. 

See you soon!
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment