Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sweet indulgences

There are plenty of philosophies on eating out there and I'm not an expert, so I won't tell you which one is *the best* or which one is right for you.  I personally follow a conglomeration of philosophies - picking bits from this or that to fit what I believe is best for me and what fits my lifestyle.  I'll talk more about those another day...that's not the point of this post.

What is the point of this post?  Well, I'm glad you asked!

The point is your sweet indulgence.  You know, that thing you like to do when you're happy, sad, stressed, etc. that makes you feel even better.  We all have SOMETHING that is an indulgence for us.  I'd also imagine that we all have at least one indulgence that's a food.  And I think that's completely okay.

Personally, I have at least two indulgences that are food - Chocolate and popcorn.  Yep, neither are really healthy, but that's okay. 


   


 
I LOVE chocolate.  I'm making it a label on this blog as I can totally foresee doing multiple posts talking about chocolate..because...I LOVE chocolate.  Oh..ha ha..I said that already.  Did I mention...I love chocolate?

In the scheme of things, I guess I could have a worse indulgence...because really...who goes...wow, it's been a stressful day, let's go and eat a salad.  I guess we'd all be in a better place if we thought that way...but alas, no, not human nature.

So I eat some chocolate almost every day.  Yep, that's right.  Dark is my favorite.  The darker the better.  I firmly believe that it's just wonderful.  I remember reading once that there was a correlation between the amount of chocolate pregnant women eat and the happiness of the baby...well, for those of you who know G...yes, I ate a TON of chocolate while pregnant.  You can all thank me later.

Anyway...how does this relate to fitness and being a fit mommy?

Well, as I mentioned earlier - it's okay to have indulgences as long as it's in moderation. 

I've heard other people say it as part of food philosophical talk and I buy into it - if you eat healthy the majority of the time, the rest of the time it's okay to indulge.  I've heard it called the 80/20 rule - eat good 80% of the time, and do what you want the other 20%.  I follow this for the most part.  I think that that's a healthier way to live verses telling yourself you can't eat a food that you love and then craving it like crazy and then ultimately "failing" at your diet and over indulging.  Nope, not for me.  No thanks.

So what I'm saying is - to be fit, indulge sometimes.  Just make sure the other 80% or so of your time, you are eating healthy.  So what did I eat today you ask?  Well, let me tell you!

Breakfast: Whole grain cereal with low fat milk, coffee, water
Lunch: I usually pack my lunch, but was just too tired today.  So I got the taco salad at work - beef, chicken, lettuce, rice, olives, fresh salsa, sour cream, cheese.  Oh yeah, not the healthiest I know...but I did get veggies in there by eating the lettuce and salsa...I don't usually like tacos with lettuce, so I got the added kick of lettuce and salsa.
Dinner - Turkey breast, steamed carrots, steamed broccoli, and steamed cauliflower.  Yep - 3 veggies...and colorful!

What..where's the chocolate...oh yeah, the whole indulgence thing.  Well, let me tell you about it.  They had ice cream bar at work today...My FAVORITE.  So I indulged...It's been quite the stressful week with the stock market and other events in our life.  So I got 2 scoops - chocolate and coffee.  Toppings...oh yes.  Chocolate jimmies, Oreo cookie crumbles, hot fudge, walnuts, and a cherry (had to put something healthy-ish on there right...).

Heaven in a plate.

But I took a nice long walk around the walking trails and since I ate a very healthy dinner, I don't feel guilty about it.  :)  My indulgence.  Thank you, thank you!

Until next time,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment