Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A...is for Attitude

In the first edition of my A-Z blogging challenge, I'd like to talk about Attitude.  Not the "Your momma, in your face" type of attitude.  I'm talking your overall mental state and thoughts.

I think for anyone to make a change and start to lead a healthier lifestyle, it really requires an adjustment to your attitude.  No longer can you take the "Woe is me" approach or the "I'll get to it later."  Nope.  You have to decide to act and take control.  Live it and own it.

I think another portion of attitude though is having the positive mental state to challenge yourself.  Changing isn't easy.  As a matter of fact, it's tough.  Changing how and what you eat.  Making the decision to get up and run when others around you may not understand or support you.  Pushing yourself when you are running to do better, go longer, run faster...whatever your goal may be.

I read one tale on CNN of a guy who was always fit who intentionally tried to be unhealthy so he could understand what his clients went through.  Then he later changed again to lose all the weight and go back to being healthy.  He said both the changes were extremely tough...but stopping drinking soda and eating fried food was one of the hardest things he had ever done.  You get into the habits of eating a certain way...but beyond that...your body gets used to things...healthy or not.  Then you crave them when you go without them.

I remember reading about changing to eat healthier and how if you do your cravings switch from things like french fries to salads.  I thought that was just silly.  Several months into my journey I can tell you...I crave salads and broccoli.  A lot.  Love me some Cobb salad, avocado ranch dressing, and I can't eat enough broccoli.  But there was quite the period of time where all I wanted was some McDonald's french fries.  I don't get those cravings anymore...but I've gone long enough that I felt like they were out of my system.  I got some a few weeks back...they don't even taste that well anymore to me.  Give it a shot...you won't believe me until you try it, I know.

My next big project is really to get the hubs eating more healthy and keeping the little on a healthy track.  It's hard though because it's about attitude and if someone doesn't want to change...they won't.  So we'll see where that goes.  But that's a whole other post for another day.

In the meantime, before embarking on any journey or if you are struggling with yours, examine your attitude and adjust as needed (another A word).

~A

No comments:

Post a Comment