Monday, July 23, 2012

My First Time...running a 5K

I did it!  Ran my first 5K this weekend.  I did a small, local one so I could build some confidence.  Will's Way 5K.

I was so nervous and anxious the night before.  It took me forever to go to sleep.  I kept thinking of all the things I needed the next day, trying to calm myself, but I finally fell asleep after doing some power eating and hydrating to prepare for the big day.

Wake up bright and early on Saturday morning.  I made myself a strawberry, banana, and kale smoothie to prep.  Slathered on some sun screen and then drove to my fellow MRTT Sterling team mate C's house to carpool over.

Got to the race - what a strange, new experience.  I hadn't pre-registered, so stand in line and register after finally finding the registration desk.  Bib #203. Then I struggled to attach a shoe tracking chip that they use to track your time more accurately.  Apparently I wasn't the only one new to this - none of my running club ladies had seen them either.  Finally got that on and then we had an hour to spend waiting for the race to start. 

Bathroom run.

Then it was time to line up.

Finally, the race started.  I kept telling myself to go slow and I did a good job.  My Thursday training hill run did me well.  It was an extremely hilly route.  I think somewhere around the 2.5 mile mark I was digging to find some strength, but I pushed through my mental road block and pushed through.  Probably 400 meters before the finish line a brown haired woman cheered me on at the perfect time - telling me great job - you can do it.  It was just the inspiration I needed to sprint the final part.  My official time was 30'27".  According to my Nike+ it was 5.55K (I think it was 3.4 miles vs. 3.1) so my pace came out at 8'51" according to my Nike+.  I PR'd my time by over 30 seconds per mile!  But not only that...I finished. I did it.

So proud of myself!

And now I'm addicted.  I think I'd like to do some more 5K's.  See if I can get my pace down closer to 8'30" or 8' per mile perhaps.  I'm also contemplating doing a 10K too - but that would be late fall for sure.  I need to slowly train up to this so I don't get injured.  Most of all, I really am proud of myself for this journey I've made to becoming more fit.

Goal #2 complete for July and on track (ahead of schedule) for my last goal.  Whoo hoo!

Supposedly they took photos...I need to track this down!

~A

No comments:

Post a Comment