Friday, July 6, 2012

C...is for Change, Choice, and Challenge

I as prepared to write my C post for my A-Z blogging challenge, I realized there were just far to many C words I could write about.  So I exercised some control (he he, C) and limited myself to three to talk about today.

Change.

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
Mahatma Gandhi
Change is tough, change inspiring, change is well, change.  Changing can be great.  Whatever it is you want to change about yourself, set some goals and just do it.  In the past couple of years I've made a lot of changes to myself for the better I think.  I'm healthier - I eat more fruits and veggies, less processed foods, and drink more water.  I'm greener - I use ecofriendly cosmetics, grow some of my own food, buy local when I can, use efficient appliances and bulbs in the house, etc.  Change helps us become better people - the people we want to be.  The kind of person we admire.
One of my focuses recently is happiness.  I love, love, love (did I mention love?) Gretchen Rubin's book, "The Happiness Project."

I have a confession though.  I haven't read the entire book yet.  Oops.  Honestly, every time I start reading her book, I get so inspired to go out and do something.  Change for the better.  Do things to make myself happier.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy person, but I think we can all be happier.  That's the premise of the book.  It's great.  Pick it up, read it.  You'll probably have the same reaction as me.  I'd like to think I'll finish this book by the time her second one comes out in September.  Maybe. Just maybe.

Choice. We make so many choices in a day.  Some big, some small.  Some are so infinitesimally small that you probably don't think twice.  Others require lots of thinking, researching, planning, etc.  Most of those really small choices that don't require any thought are the hardest ones to change - they are habits, ingrained in us.  What we eat, drink, do on a regular basis.  Habits.  Being healthier and fitter can start with making small changes to the choices we make every day (Did you like that - I linked my C's). 

Some of the small choices I've made that have helped me change: Putting skim milk instead of whole milk or cream in my coffee, parking in the back of the garage to walk the extra distance, dancing while I cook sometimes (much to Little's dismay - No mommy, no dancing!), spending more time outside, starting a running club, etc.  Small choices you make every day can really add up.  Take the stairs verses the elevator. HUGE.  No soda. HUGE. Milk vs. cream - lots of savings.  Measuring out a portion of something verses aimlessly eating from the container. Now we're just talking crazy.

My point is, small changes really can add up to a huge change.



Challenge. I get it, really I do.  Some of us like challenge more than others.  Some of us are better at challenging ourselves.  Some of us strive on it.  Some of us need mental gold stars to give ourselves.  I'm ok, really I am.  I know I'm not alone - It's in Gretchen's book too.  She does the same thing. So there!

Anyway, if you are or aren't the type of person who likes a challenge, I really CHALLENGE you to set goals for yourself that well, challenge you to go beyond your current limits.  Run farther, go faster, change (did it again), make a choice, go somewhere you've never been, do something that scares you, etc.  Challenge yourself.  You can do it.  And if you fail - what's the big deal? Pick up and try again.  If you succeed, give yourself a gold star and do it again.

I struggle with this one.  I try to challenge myself each day to do something, but sometimes I fail.  So I pick myself up again.  It's ok.  Failure is good, I promise.  Some of the greatest successes started out as failures.  I won't get into details about that though.

My personal challenge to you - Make one change or make one choice to become a fitter person.  See if it inspires you to make others.  And let me know how it goes!

My challenge that I successfully completed for the day - I ran this morning.  In the heat (It scares me).  It was almost 80 degrees.  I originally wanted to set a distance, but instead of set a time - 30 minutes.  Run for thirty minutes without stopping.  I secondarily wanted to make sure I could still run 3 miles straight as it's been a while since I have with this cold and schedules and stuff (enough excuses Amber!).  Anyway, I went out around 9:30 this morning, ran 3.15 miles in 30 minutes - 9'33" per mile pace.  Both goals - check!  Challenge accepted!

~A

No comments:

Post a Comment