Sunday, July 29, 2012

I...is for I and Important

I is the topic of the day for the A-Z blogging challenge I'm slowly working my way through.

Had to think a while on I and I finally came up with a couple good ones I think.  They are very interrelated.



I.  Yes, you, me.  I.  I think all too often we push our own needs to the back burner.  Honestly, I was originally planning to do this post last night after Little G went to bed. but once she finally went down, I was exhausted.  Normally, I would say my sleep can wait, but you know what - I put myself and my needs first and I went to bed, saving this post for the morning.  Anyone hurt?  Not that I'm aware of.  Since the little slept through the night for the first time in who knows how long, I actually might have gotten close to eight hours of sleep for the first time in who knows how long.  And I  needed it!

I.  I put my needs ahead of yours reader.  I did it.  Don't hate me.  It's a big thing for me.  With a family, job, and other needs, often my needs get tossed to the bottom of the bucket.  I feel like I have to justify doing things for myself often - Oh, I just got a promotion, I guess I can finally get that pedicure I've been putting off for months despite my feet hurting and needing it.  Oh, I just wrapped up a HUGE project at work successfully, I guess I can splurge on some new clothes for myself (and somehow still manage not to spend a dime over the gift certificate amount I had - yes, I even can't do it when I have a gift certificate). I know I'm not alone here, although many of you may not be as far down the spectrum as me on this.  I'm working on it.  Making more time for me, for my needs.  I think we all should try a little harder here.

Important.  Say it with me, "I am Important."  This relates to what I was saying above.  Our needs, wants, feelings, desires, etc. are important.  We can't continue to push them aside to give others what we need.  Study after study have shown that we feel good when we give to others, but also that if we take some time for ourselves, it actually helps us perform better.  Get up, take a walk.  Interested in fitness?  Go for a run when you can.



I myself struggle with asking for help - this includes watching G so I can go run or do classes or whatever.  So I tend to make time at work.  However, I have been doing better at asking Joe to watch her Saturdays so I can run with the girls.  And he watched her when I ran a 5K.  My neighbor watched her for me once so I could run.  I've found that most people are fine watching your children/pet for 15-30 minutes if you are going for a run.  Doesn't hurt to ask right?

Eating better is another important thing here for me.  Eating healthy and serving as a healthy role model for my daughter is hugely important to me.  She eats what we eat, so I make a healthy meal.  Joe isn't 100% on board with my healthy eating...he's at least trying lately - he did eat some of my green beans the other night.  But so far it seems to work.  G eats a lot of veggies and fruits and whole wheat grains.  We have a small garden and she begs loves to go down and look for new strawberries, zucchini, and green beans with me.  She eats them right off the vine.  Kind of weird to me, but as long as she's eating them beans and squash, she can do whatever she wants.

I've gotten off topic.  What I was trying to point out here is that you/me/I - we are important.  Our needs, our feelings, our wants.  We need to take the time to work on achieving our goals and doing more for ourselves, because in the end - it helps everyone around us.  We are happier and healthier and thus have a better outlook and more energy to spread to those around us.

One more time: I am Important.
~A

No comments:

Post a Comment